7.06.2010

Family 4th of July

My 4th of July weekend was full of last minute plan changes and quick trips here and there (of course).  Despite all of this and the annoyance it brings, the weekend was a lot of fun but not too crazy hectic, which I really liked and appreciated.

I worked late on Friday afternoon.  Usually I can get out of here by 4:30 at the very latest.  Of course the one weekend when I have somewhere to go, it is closer to 5:30.  I was quite tired and not packed and not in the mood to deal with traffic, so I decided I would just stay in Jackson Friday night.  So, I cooked dinner at home and then Macy and I just hung out and I read a book and went to bed.  Lazy night.  Loved it!

Saturday morning I got up and got ready and got packed.  After fighting with my devil dog for a while (seriously, I was ready to GIVE her away by the time I got her in the car), we hit the road.  Of course had to have SOME mishap during the drive since the morning had started off so well.  I stopped about 25 miles from the exit where I got on I-20 to go to the restroom and get gas.  Well, I am just singing away and not paying any attention to what I am doing.  Next thing I know, the speed limit is dropping.  I'm confused and don't know why, in this particular location, it is changing so.  About that time, I see an exit.  Smart, educated me had gotten back on the interstate going the wrong direction - so I was back to Jackson!  Ha.  So, yeah, I had to turn around.  Good thing I was not in a hurry.  I drove to Anniston and stayed at Erin and Jared's house.  They were gone to the lake with J's family, so I drove around their little community and hit up some stores like Target, Old Navy, and Ross (my favorites!).  Macy and I then just hung out at their house with Macy spending the evening finding Rosie's toys to chew on and me spending the evening taking the toys away from Macy.

Erin and Jared got home from the lake Sunday morning.  We all decked out in our Braves' gear and headed to Atlanta to meet the rest of the fam.  We met them at the gates to Turner Field for the Braves v. Marlins game.  It was so much fun!  Our seats were perfect!  We were right beside the right field foul pole, but we were under the pavillion on the very back row, so we were close to bathrooms and drinks AND out of the sun!  The sun did creep under the pavillion in the bottom of the 9th and it got a little toasty, but I am so not complaining.  I can handle it for half of an inning compared to nine!  We had a lot of fun.  Mom, Kris, J, and I all were all sporting Heyward jerseys, but he didn't play because of an injury to his hand.  :(  However, I did get to see BOTH of my favorites, Chipper Jones and Brian McCann play. 



After the game was over (the Braves lost), we went up to the upper deck and enjoyed a concert by this awesome 70s band.  They're called Yacht Rock Revue.  Oh my goodness.  They were ridiculously good.  They played only songs from the 70s and they even dressed and acted the part!  I really enjoyed them, but my dad LOVED them.  ha.  I guess since they were playing music from his high school glory days.  Anyways, check them out, ESPECIALLY those of you in ATL.  They said they play somewhere (but I forgot where) every Thursday night. 


After their concert, we got to see the All American Fireworks Extravaganza, or something equally cheesy.  The fireworks show was pretty good, but more than the fireworks, I was impressed with the music they played during the show.  It was fun music to make you want to poke your chest out and call yourself an American and maybe even wear one of those lame flag shirts.  Well, not really, but it was better than the stuff little cities play during their fireworks shows.

We drove back to Anniston to E & J's that night and all stayed there.  Monday morning we all got up and they showed us their town and we ate our Independence Day lunch at some Mexican restaurant - ironic, hmm?  After hanging out a bit more, we all drove our separate ways:  E & J back to their little house, Mom, Dad and Kris to Troy, and Macy and I to Jackson. 

It was a fun weekend and I enjoyed seeing the fam and what is most likely to be our new tradition for Independence Day.


2 comments:

  1. That looks like an awesome fourth of july!!! I LOVE Braves games!! And how cool you got to see a band and fireworks there too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keri! I left you an award on my blog, check it out! :)

    ReplyDelete